My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Chatty Cathy Or Ice Queen?

I always meet the most interesting people on airplanes.  After all, depending on how long the flight, you’re going to be in close quarters with the person next to you for some time.  Why not be friendly, introduce yourself, and say hello?

You guessed it, I’m that Chatty Cathy that won’t shut up when you sit next to me on an airplane.

I boarded a flight last week and sat next to a woman we’ll call Ice Queen.  I was running late as usual and remembered that I forgot to take my Dramamine.  I tried to be discreet about it (I didn’t want Ice Queen to think I was going to throw up on her), but I couldn’t open the plastic wrapping around the bottle without some serious effort as she watched me out of the corner of her eye.

I tried to reassure her, “I really haven’t needed these in years.  I mean, I haven’t gotten really air sick in years.  I mean, if I do get air sick, you’ll be the first to know.”

She didn’t look reassured.  Yes, it was one of those TMI moments.  So I decided to fill the awkward silence with more conversation.  Like me, she was a working mom who was leaving her young children overnight for business.  Like me, she was worried about how her kids would get along without her, whether they would get to bed in time or be late for school.  We continued to talk and found out we had much in common.  Heck, I even ended up telling her about Chasing Superwoman and A Working Mother’s Daily Rant.   She even acted like she was interested. 

Ice Queen, if you’re reading, this please know I don’t mean the term Ice Queen to be derogatory in any sense.  After all, I’m referring to you as a queen.  Besides, I have to admit, there are times on airplanes when even I would rather be left alone.

How about you?  Would you rather be sitting next to Ice Queen or Chatty Cathy ?

No comments: