My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Happy With Your Work?

black and white portrait of a business executives climbing stairs
Are you happy with your work?  Most of us our so busy with our daily routines that we need to stop and ask - do I enjoy my chosen profession?  Do I like getting up in the morning and facing my day?

I went to law school to pursue truth and justice.  Sure, I don’t always fulfill that mission in my daily grind, but most days I actually like being a lawyer.  And I’m not alone.  According to a recent survey, lawyers are a pretty happy bunch.  That’s right, according to an American Bar Foundation study featured in Law360, 70 percent of lawyers report feeling moderately or very satisfied with their career path.

Ok, I can already hear the lawyer jokes out there.  Bring them on!  I’m blessed to be part of a profession that I actually enjoy.  And I would also argue that lawyers do much more good in our society than we receive credit for.  We defend the law and preserve rights to life, liberty and justice.  Sure, we’ve gotten a bad rap for some valid reasons, but I still believe that law is a noble, desirable profession.

Off my lawyer soapbox.   Being a lawyer certainly isn’t for everyone (and even I would admit that the world would be a very scary place with more lawyers).  But I do think we can learn something from the 70 percent of lawyers out there who are relatively happy.

Whether we work full time, part time, or inside or outside of our homes – work is a vital part of life.  Work is about being productive, being needed, and contributing to something bigger than ourselves.

So, I ask you, what are you working for?

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. – Colossians 3:23

No comments: