My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Bunny Drama

I had completely underestimated the Easter Bunny.  He really isn’t that scary, is he (or she)? Isn’t he supposed to be furry and nice?  With all that candy and fun, who would have thought the Easter Bunny would rain terror in the hearts of my girls?

A couple of weeks ago, Anna mentioned to me that she thought the Easter Bunny was pretty creepy. I brushed it off, thinking she would get over it.  I almost came out and told her, Mom is the Easter Bunny, but in a moment of weakness, I decided to hold out.  After all, this is probably the last year before she figures it out on her own.  And I didn’t want her to ruin it for Abby.

The night before Easter, the tension started to build.  At 6:00 p.m. Abby announced that she saw the Easter Bunny in our dining room.  Then, Anna found a plastic egg under a chair in our living room – certainly, it didn’t get there by itself!  The Easter Bunny was already sneaking around, and it wasn’t even night time.

Anna and Abby were in tears, and they begged me to let them go to bed right away.  I took them up around 7:30 p.m. and they started in with the questions.  Is the Easter Bunny already in our house?  Will he come to our room?  What if Nick doesn’t get in bed soon – will he ruin our chance to get candy?  How big is the Easter Bunny?  Does he drive a car?

In response, I just said, “I don’t know, what do you think?”  As much as I love the magic and games, I really try not to lie to my children any more than I have to (especially not on major Christian holidays).  They pleaded with me to sleep with them, and to calm them down I finally convinced them I would guard their bedroom door, just to make sure the Easter Bunny didn’t barge in.

Anna and Abby barely made it through the night.  Between playing Easter Bunny and checking on them in between, I was completely exhausted from all the drama.

As much as I love Easter, I’m glad Easter Bunny drama is over – at least for another year.  I’ll have to admit, there’s something about a sneaky, overgrown, human-like bunny that just isn’t right.

No comments: