My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 8, 2010

What Motivates You?

All of us are motivated by something.  In simplest terms, our human nature often drives us to crave one of the three P’s:  Pleasure, Possessions, and Power.  Jesus explained it like this.

For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.  I John 2:16 (NLT)

I like to think my motives are completely pure.  Which is why I was recently surprised when I took a personality test that showed otherwise.  (Ok, maybe I wasn’t all that surprised, but the exercise itself was quite enlightening.)

As part of a project at work, I participated in “scientific” personality study.  In other words, I was an executive guinea pig.  The study measures personality, as well as motives, values, and preferences.

What were my scores?  Let’s just say I got high marks in the three P’s – especially in areas of achievement, recognition, and (yikes) even pleasure.  Even more interesting?  I received equally high scores indicating values of altruism and tradition.  The result?  I appear to be completely conflicted -- according to my scores, I’m two people living inside the same body.

While I was mildly amused by the results, I also asked myself, What really motivates me?  If I have to be honest, my motives will never be completely pure this side of heaven.  But I think that’s ok.  The test helped me realize that God created me to have a passion for life – an inner drive – that I can ultimately use for a greater purpose.  And as long as I live in this world, I’m going to be conflicted.  But God still accepts and uses a woman of mixed motives.

What motivates you?  Pleasure?  Possessions?  Power?  Something else?

No comments: