My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Should Moms Wear Belly Button Rings?

My friend Tracy got me a belly button ring for my 40th birthday.  I thought about wearing it on spring break, but I’m having second thoughts.  Should a mother of young daughters wear a belly button ring?

This past weekend, I was standing in the check-out line with Anna.  I looked over, and to my horror she had picked up a magazine with semi-nude women, posing in their swims suits.  (Actually, the woman in the picture appeared to have nothing on, and it was only after I looked twice that I realized she wasn’t completely naked.)  This was the second time in a week that Anna has picked up an explicit magazine in public.

No, I’m not a prude.  And I’m not a big fan of censorship.  And I realize I need to watch my children more closely when we are out in public.  But it’s not like I was in an adult bookstore or I was shopping on the wrong side of town. 

Did I calmly explain to Anna that our bodies are not objects, and being naked really isn’t high fashion?  Did I tell her that God created our bodies to be temples of the Holy Spirit?  Not exactly.  I ripped the magazine out of her hand and threw my own mini-tantrum right in the middle of the store and shouted, Put that magazine done right now!  These pictures are disgusting!

I probably could have handled the situation better.  It wasn’t really the pictures that bothered me.  It was that Anna was so taken with them.  My innocent first-grader couldn’t take her eyes off of these half-naked, voluptuous women.

Which brings me back to the belly button ring.  Sure, it would be fun to wear on spring break (and Tracy really had the best of intentions).  But I need to teach my girls that their bodies are not objects.  Will they even take me seriously if I wear a belly button ring?

Maybe I’m over reacting.  I leave for the beach tomorrow.  Should I take my belly button ring with me or leave it at home?  (By the way, it’s adhesive – Doug would freak out if I actually went through with a piercing.)

No comments: