My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Random Acts Of Kindness

Just when I think humanity is a lost cause, someone surprises me.

Doug and I were in San Francisco last year and had just enjoyed a quiet dinner and a long walk. Like usual, I checked my email before bed. I was completely surprised to see an email from a complete stranger I’ll call “Nice Guy” that said, Hello, you don’t know me but I Googled your name and found you on the Internet. I found your license lying on Columbus Street tonight and I figured you probably needed it.

I couldn’t believe how thoughtful he was. Rather than kicking my license to the curb, he not only picked it up, but he sought me out and found me. Finding me took time and effort.  He took the initiative.  Then he said, You can come and pick up your license at my office at 2:00 p.m. tomorrow.

Given that Nice Guy went out of his way to find me and was merely asking me to meet him at a place that was convenient for him, I of course told him I was too busy. Oh, sorry dude, but I have a meeting in the morning, and I was actually planning on going to Napa in the afternoon. Do you think I could meet you tomorrow night after 10 p.m.?

The nerve of me. I was actually bossing around a complete stranger who was doing me a favor and was just asking me to meet him on his terms. Without my license, I wouldn’t be able to get on an airplane back to Ohio. But, like usual, I decided to push the envelope.

My experience with Nice Guy made me think about my relationship with God.  God seeks me out and finds me. He looks me up and goes out of his way to get my attention.  Half the time, I don’t even know I’ve lost my way.  But he calls me out and says, Hey, you really need my help today.  Then he says, Meet me tomorrow before work, I’ll be waiting.

I usually respond, Sorry, but I’m busy then, but maybe I’ll have some time this weekend.

I wonder if God ever gets tired of it when I blow him off?  Like Nice Guy, he keeps taking the initiative, but will I ever stop pushing that envelope?  (You’ll have to wait until tomorrow to see if I got my license back.)

No comments: