My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Conscience Of A Firstborn

Abby, our 3-year-old, is known to take God’s name in vain under her breath.  And Nick, our firstborn, is worried.

I was putting Nick to bed the other night, and he told me there was something he wanted to talk to me about.  He said, “I think I’ve figured out why Abby keeps saying Oh My God.”

“Really,” I responded. 

“Yeah, here’s what’s happening.  When you’re not home, Dad gets busy and forgets to check what we’re watching on TV.  Sometimes, Abby puts on shows that we’re not allowed to watch, and I try to tell her not to watch them, but she won’t listen to me.”

I explained to Nick that it wasn’t his fault, but I appreciated his concern.  And, yes, I would talk to Dad about the TV.  But the most important thing is to pray for Abby and to be a good example.  As she gets older, she’ll learn to think before she talks.

I’m always telling Nick “just worry about yourself.”  He's known to be the family sheriff, but in this particular situation, I don’t think he was trying to be a tattle tale.  He was genuinely concerned about Abby. 

Tattle tale or not, I’m thankful for the conscience of a firstborn.  (Yeah, I'm one of those lastborns that always got away with murder.)

Nick is always complaining that it’s hard to be the oldest, and I always tell him to call his Aunt Mona, my firstborn sister, for some sympathy. Any other firstborns out there who relate to Nick?

1 comment:

Keli Gwyn said...

I can so relate to Nick. I'm the First Born, aka Bossy Older Sister, aka Policewoman. I heard it all from my siblings growing up. We oldest children can't help it. I think we come hardwired that way. But, oh, can we ever be responsible, which is a good trait, right? :)