My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Coffee Or Jesus?

I decided to give up coffee for Lent.  For an addict like me, it’s going to be an arduous journey.  I know, if I was really doing this right, I wouldn’t publish my fast on a blog.

And when you fast, don't make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get.  Matthew 6:16

I’m really not looking for reward or admiration.  So, at the risk of being in good company with the hypocrites, I’m going to need some accountability from my fellow bloggers.

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday.  Although I didn’t grow up in the Liturgical Church, there’s something pretty special about observing the traditional calendar this time of year.  After we took the kids to church last night, we talked about how we’ll all mortal beings – from ashes to ashes.

No, I don’t believe you have to give up something for Lent or even observe Ash Wednesday to earn points with God.   And I don’t believe I have to decide between coffee and Jesus.  In fact, I haven’t given anything up for Lent in years.  I was one of those people who always thought the rituals of Lent were pretty silly.  After all, God isn’t impressed by seasonal celebrations when what he really wants is a love relationship 365 days a year, right?

I still believe that’s true.  But, truth be told, some of us need reminders along the way.  For me, going without coffee is a pretty good reminder that I need to pray, clear my head (once the caffeine headache clears), and prepare to celebrate my risen Lord.

So whether you observe Lent or not, I hope you’ll join me in celebrating the Easter season this year (and please don’t offer me any coffee – especially not a latte with dark chocolate).

No comments: