My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Talk Is Cheap

Some of us like to write.  In other words, we like to hear ourselves talk.  The only problem?  Talk is cheap.  If you’re not careful, you can hide behind a computer screen while the rest of the world passes you by and never contribute to something bigger than yourself.

My friend and mentor, Jane Armstrong, recently shared a quote with me that I thought was brilliant. 

Share Christ always and when necessary use words.

(This originates with St. Francis of Assisi who said, “Preach the gospel always; when necessary use words.)

This quote hit me hard for a couple of reasons.  First, I like to talk.   Heck, if I didn’t like to talk so much, I would have never written a book and I certainly wouldn’t post a daily blog.   As important, those of us who call ourselves followers of Christ have a really bad reputation for telling other people how to act while sitting in our ivory towers (or in front of our computer screens) and letting the rest of the world take on things like poverty, disease, and famine.  We talk a good talk, but our lack of action sends a much stronger message. 

Somebody else will do it.

If you’re reading this blog, my intention certainly isn’t to put you on a guilt trip.  In fact, if I’m pointing a figure, it’s right back at me.  I’m just thankful I have people in my life like Jane who model action first, with talk as a much distant second.

To paraphrase Jane, when in doubt, just shut up and act.

No comments: