My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday Tip – Green Shakes Give Energy!

Bowl of spinach leaves

Working moms need energy.  Which is why I recently added green shakes to my diet.
I learned a few things when I was laid up at the spa in Utah.  What did I learn?  To start, I learned how to make yummy green shakes.  And you can’t even taste the spinach.

My sisters, Mona and Janie, dragged me to a cooking class the morning after my tooth extraction.  I really wasn’t that excited – given that I was unable to chew or digest food, the last thing I wanted to do was go to a cooking class – but I was getting a little tired of the four walls of my hotel room.  When we arrived at the class, I was pleasantly surprised to see green shakes on the menu.  This is how I know God has a sense of humor.  He dragged me all the way to Utah, just to teach me how to make the perfect drink right when I needed it the most.

Needless to say, it hit the spot.  Never mind that I hadn’t eaten anything in 24 hours.  This was pure heaven (not to mention the secondary but equally fabulous health benefits).

Here’s the recipe, as best as I can remember (and, yes, I’ve been making them on a regular basis – even Abby thinks they are delicious).
  • 1/3 spinach (as you get brave, you can more spinach as well as parsley, mint, or anything green and leafy)
  • 2/3 frozen fruit (I’ve found that bananas, pineapple, and mango work best with spinach)
  • apple cider (or apple juice)
  • a dash of real vanilla extract (this is the secret ingredient)
Put the spinach in first and add the other ingredients in order.  Enjoy!

Are you brave enough to try a green shake?

2 comments:

Alison said...

I love a green shake! I use frozen blueberries, spinach (I made it to 1 cup!), plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of cranberry juice and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Delish!

Another friend turned me on to these and I can't get tired of them. Who knew all that could taste so good?

Susan DiMickele said...

I can't wait to try your recipe!