My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Are Showers Overrated?

Last week, I unexpectedly went out of town on Monday evening.  On Tuesday, at 6:00 p.m., I was still wearing the same outfit.  And no, I hadn’t showered.

When I was driving home, I called my Blonde Sister, Janie.  I’ve told Janie before, “Showers are completely overrated.  When I’m pressed for time, the shower is the first to go.”

So when I told her I hadn’t showered (or hadn’t even changed my clothes) for 24 hours, she thought I was really gross.  Janie and her husband, George, are what you call hygiene fanatics.  She exclaimed to me over the phone, “Wait until I tell George.  He has already showered three times today!”

I wasn’t impressed.  Simply put, too many showers are overrated.  Why waste water, soap, resources, and time just so you can dry out your skin and smell like a bunch of chemicals?  50 years ago, no one would even think of showering three times a day.  And no one would think my hygiene is sub-standard, just because I might skip a day here and there.  After all, working moms are pressed for time.  Most of us don’t smell bad, and I’ve never been able to find the phrase “Cleanliness is next to Godliness” anywhere in the Bible.   Didn’t Jesus even say he was more concerned with the inside of the cup, not the outside?

What do you think?  Are showers over-rated?  I dare you to try to go one day without one!  Maybe we could even have a contest on the blog with prizes (just kidding, Janie).

5 comments:

Jean Wise said...

Personally giving up my morning shower would be one of the last things I do. I love that time - relaxing way to ease into the day, even hectic days. The days I don't shower seem incomplete. Funny how routines bring some sort of structured comfort ins't it?

Keli Gwyn said...

While I sometimes begrudge the time it takes to shower, I remind myself that I get some of my best ideas in the shower. My characters have been known to get so chatty and consume my thoughts so completely that I've stepped out of the shower, reached for my towel, and discovered that I still have conditioner in my hair. :)

Susan DiMickele said...

I'll have to admit -- I do come up with some of my best thoughts in the shower.......

Dave said...

There have been times in my life when I went months without a real shower. I have learned to appreciate them!

Susan DiMickele said...

Wow. 2 months. Even I can't compete.