Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Top Ten Reasons To Read I’m Outnumbered! (Plus, A Give-Away)
Today, on Working Mommy Wednesday, we’re sharing top ten lists. And I couldn’t think of a better place to share the top ten reasons to read I’m Outnumbered! One Mom’s Lessons in the Lively Art of Raising Boys, by Laura Lee Groves.
1. Laura is a fellow working mom. As an English teacher and mother of four boys (that’s right four boys), Laura is a kindred spirit to busy, overworked mothers.
2. The tone is spiritual yet realistic. I’m Outnumbered is written from a biblical perspective. But I also didn’t find it to be overly preachy or unrealistic. Laura acknowledges that no parents are perfect, and we all need God’s grace to get us through the journey.
3. Laura speaks from the heart. In fact, Laura is pretty transparent and vulnerable about her own journey – including lessons learns and teachable moments.
4. Nothing beats experience. I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand getting parenting advice from people who haven’t been in the trenches. (Like, “Gee, I read that you should ignore your child when he has a tantrum.”) Laura speaks from a wealth of experience.
5. Laura offers lots of practical tips. I’m Outnumbered doesn’t just give advice – it gives examples, resources, and creative parenting ideas. (Yeah, it’s also a nice compliment to Chasing Superwoman, which by my own admission is more of a rant than an instruction manual.)
6. Finally, a female voice about boys! A handful of books have already been written about raising boys. But few if any are from a female perspective. (As someone who grew up with all sisters, I really need that female perspective!)
7. Her sons actually contribute to the book. One of my favorite parts of the book is where Laura’s sons provide first-hand insight. (See Chapter 10 – A Word From The Boys.) It’s one thing to talk about raising boys – but it’s another thing to actually hear from them directly!
8. Help promote a new author. This is Laura’s first book. And first-time authors are always looking for creative ways to get the word out. Once you read I’m Outnumbered, please consider passing it along to a friend or doing your own book review.
9. We all need mentors. I’m always looking for mentors on my parenting journey. And I love connecting with moms I respect – especially when they’re a couple of steps ahead of me. Laura is one of those moms! Her blog is also a great source of encouragement.
10. I’ll send you a copy! Last but certainly not least, I’d love to send you a copy. By posting a comment on my blog before 5:00 p.m. Sunday, you can enter a drawing to win a free copy. (Winners win be announced in the comment section of this post Sunday evening.)
Happy Wednesday, and thanks Laura for writing I’m Outnumbered!