My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Why I’m Not Blogging Every Day

Paper in typewriter listing Blog

When I started blogging last December, I figured I’d do it five days a week.  As much as I love to write, blogging every day would be a luxury and a breeze.  Right?

Well, for sure it’s a luxury.  I’ve come to love blogging – and the people I’ve met through blogging – more than I’d ever imagine.  I wasn’t supposed to get hooked.  But I did.

Which brings me to my next point.  Blogging five days a week takes time.  Some weeks, it’s more time than I have!

Usually, I blog in the evenings.  I kid you not, it’s not unusual for me to put my kids to bed while I’m drafting content, reading comments, or commenting on other blogs (laptop in hand)!  I’ve had to ask myself, “Is this any way for a mother to spend the summer with her children?”

So, reluctantly, I’m going to cut back a bit.  At least for the summer.  I’m kicking and screaming, but even I know when I’ve reached my limit.   

My plan?  I’m still going to blog three days a week, probably Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  (And, now that I’m savvy to the blogging world, I’ve noticed that many dedicated bloggers have adopted this same schedule.)

Yes, we all make time for things that are important.  And, for me, blogging is just one of them.

Have you had to adjust your priorities lately?  And how do you make time for the people you love and the God who constantly redeems us, busy schedules and all?

*********

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  - Colossians 3:23 NLT

10 comments:

Heidi Britz said...

I agree! I have been blogging 5 days a week too for a year and have adopted the m,w,f theme for the summer (www.fallingdowntherabbithole.com).My boys are growing up so fast, I know that the times they want to spend with mom is fleeting. Life is absolutely about balance :)

Susan DiMickele said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I need balance!

Michelle DeRusha said...

I totally support you in this Susan. Blogging really takes a toll on family life -- my poor husband is neglected nearly every evening as I sit in front of the computer. I think Monday, Wednesday, Friday is a good plan.

We are at the same place right now...I just decided this week to cut down from 6 days/week to 5 -- I've given up Sundays, so at least I will have a blog-free weekend!

Behind you all the way, Susan! Have a great (blog-free!) weekend!

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Great ideas!

I love it how you recognized the need to put family first. Blogging involves boundaries and bravo to you for finding them!

Cassandra Frear said...

I find that there is an ebb and flow to life. Sometimes, daily blogging is a good idea. Sometimes, we need to lighten up on the expectations we have of ourselves. I've done the same, because my summer is so demanding.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

I think we're all in the same place! I can live with Monday, Wednesday, Friday and an occasional weekend post if I'm particularly inspired and the family is occupied.

I'm learning that no matter how long we've been moms, we have to constantly reassess where we and our families are. More power to you!

Babetta said...

I'm impressed by all of you who actually HAVE a blogging schedule! Mine is so random. Perhaps I should take a page from your book and adopt a schedule. Good for you! Balance is so crucial.

MC said...

Life is a marathon...not a sprint. Setting priorities helps the run - being realistic about it makes it feel good...Hugs with people you love should always trump inanimate words with relatively intimate strangers, that's why God puts them in our lives....After all your book is CHASING Superwoman, not BEING Superwoman....

Amy Sullivan said...

Good for you for setting boundaries. Summer will be gone soon and you and your kids need that time.

I struggle with the same thing. I've forced myself (on most days!) only blog through one cup of tea and only when my girls are asleep.

It's tough, but don't worry. We will be here ready to read on MWF!

Erin MacPherson said...

Hi Susan! I stumbled across your blog on Rachelle's site and I wanted to drop by to say hi. I'm really anxious to read your book... it looks great and as a busy mom, I can't wait to see what you have to say!! Hope all is well!