My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 23, 2010

My Big Fat Cheap Wedding


Remember the days when it was acceptable just to have fun at a wedding?  When you weren’t trying to impress everyone?  When everything didn’t have to be perfect?  At least not in our town.  We rented church halls, booked DJ’s and local bands, and served family-style all-you-can-eat buffets.

My sister Janie’s wedding video is the classic 80’s experience.  The bridesmaids wore mauve taffeta dresses and baby’s breath in our big hair; the groomsman wore tuxedos with ruffles and black patent leather shoes.  We danced to cheesy music all night, made soul trains, and did the “dollar dance.”

Times have changed.

I was just talking to a friend about the cost of her daughter’s wedding.  She had a great analogy.  She said, “It’s like going to a car dealership, buying the top of the line Mercedes, then driving it into the lake!”

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for celebrating special occasions and making memories, but somewhere along the way we’ve allowed the wedding celebration in Western Culture to become more important than the marriage itself.

Take Janie (and her husband George) for example.  Sure, we all had a great time at her wedding, but we’re even happier that she and George celebrate 26 years of marriage this month.  (And they still like to throw parties and dance to cheesy music!)

Besides, rather than going broke on bells and whistles that no one will remember in five years, why not celebrate the marriage first and just have fun?

Have a good weekend!

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  Matt 6:20

(Disclaimer:  When my girls get married in 20 years, please don’t use this post against me!)

6 comments:

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

When my husband and I married four years ago (second marriage), we never considered all the bells and whistles...family/friends/vows on the dock at our aunt's lake house. Wouldn't change a thing. Simple kept the focus where we wanted it to be. Have a great weekend!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Are you going to print this post out and keep it as a reminder, Susan?

Simple and fun is the key, I'd say. I'll always remember my wedding day as the day so many of my worlds converged. Friends from college met friends from home, friends from work met family from another state -- it was great.

Julia Ladewski said...

wow! so glad to have found you too!! love connecting with other working moms! looking forward to getting to know you!!

I sent you an email too!

Abby said...

Hi, Susan! I'm glad to know others can relate (and good for your hubby too!). I'm really interested to see how the transition into student/stay-at-home dad goes. I'm sure it'll be a bit trying in the beginning, but I have FAITH it's going to work out. Thanks for visiting!

{And I COMPLETELY agree with the out-of-this-world weddings too. What really gets me, though, is over-the-top kid's birthday parties. Give me a break!!!}

Tana said...

I had the big eighties wedding! It was a monster, but fun was had by all.

Michelle DeRusha said...

I hear you -- good wisdom here, Susan! I'm just glad I have boys! : )