My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Are You An Ungrateful Whiner?

Do you know anyone who never complaints, never rants, and never blames – no matter the circumstances?

Before you tell me such a person does not exist, I must correct you. 

Meet my mother. 

Mary Stella (D’ Ercole) Moore turned 77 years old this weekend.  And I’ve never heard her utter a complaining word or rant in my entire life.  I am not lying (she’s reading this, so I can’t lie!).

She’s never said:

“I don’t care if you don’t like it, just eat it!”

“Why do I have to do everything myself around here?”

“You kids don’t know how good you have it.”

“Don’t blame me, you make your bed, you lie in it!”

“I am sick and tired of cleaning up after you.”

I know what you’re thinking.  How can we be related?  After all, I can’t stop writing about my daily rants (I even wrote a book about them).

What’s her secret?

She keeps it simple.  She’s content living day by day and leaves the rest to God. 

So here’s my challenge.  I’ve been thinking about my ungrateful spirit and sassy mouth lately (and I’ve also been riding my kids about annoying whining).  Do you think I can go one week without uttering a complaint?  Will you join me?  In other words, can we be more like my mother?

*****************

Happy Birthday, Mom, and I’m so thankful you’re not a whiner!

Do everything without complaining or arguing.  Phil 2:14

9 comments:

Michelle DeRusha said...

What an inspiration your mom is, Susan -- and a very happy birthday to her! My mother-in-law was just like that -- never complained, ever...even in suffering through 5 years of ovarian cancer and treatments. She is my hero.

Thanks for linking up such a great story. Love you!

Unknown said...

Ouch!! Way to hit me between the eyes with a 2x4 (as our pastor would say). I find myself ranting at my kids more than I should. I'm taking your challenge starting now!!! Let's see if I can at least make it 12 hours.

Happy birthday to your mom!!!

Esther said...

Oh, i did my share of yelling this morning. OK, i'm going to try not complaining for a week. (deep breath)

Amy Sullivan said...

Oh, I long to be like your mom, Mary Stella.

Ok, your challege is tough. I will shorten it and try to apply it to me. No whining and complaining for the rest of today. There it is. I said it in cyberspace, and I must hold to it.

Good luck, me.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! And thanks for sharing inspiration from her.

What a blessing to have such a model of contentment!

Susan DiMickele said...

Thanks SO much for joining me. I've last one whole day without complaining and it's harder than I thought!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are a bold soul, putting this out there. I think it would be tough, but starting with a mindset of being grateful rather than complaining could change everything. I promise I will try to be very conscious about NOT whining this week.

Your mom sounds like a fantastic lady. I wonder how much of that positive outlook is just in the genetic make-up of the personality?

Linda Snyder said...

Hi Susan,
As soon as I read your first question I thought, "Yes I know a person who NEVER, EVER complains, whines, rants, or raves negatively, and it's my Stella!" Your mom has taught me SO much about that and the Lord has put her in my life for that very reason, not to mention what great Bible study friends we are and church choir buddies. Even when your dad was not doing well health wise, she still had a smile on her face and her prayers were always filled with praise and gratitude. What an amazing woman!!!!! I love her dearly! And because you are her daughter ~ perhaps that's why I love you so much too!

Susan DiMickele said...

Thanks Linda, it is so great to have you as my dear friend. It's also so fun to share this post with someone who actually knows my mom. No one else believes me when I say she NEVER complains!