My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Do You Have Hope?

A rainbow is an optical and meteorological phenomenon that causes a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the Sun shines onto droplets of moisture in the Earths atmosphere. They take the form of a multi coloured arc, with red on the outer part of the arch and violet on the inner section of the arch.

We celebrated Labor Day this week, and I thought to myself, there are too many people out there who are dissatisfied with their work.  Some are unemployed.  Others are under-employed.  And still others are just pain miserable.

As someone who tremendously enjoys my chosen profession, my heart goes out to you if you’re in one of these ruts.  I can’t imagine what it must be like to wake up to a job every day that you hate, or to feel trapped in a cycle of unemployment.

But I do have one question for you.  Do you have hope?

To start, I’d like to share with you an amazing revelation that I learned last Sunday from Pastor EricIt’s the difference between wishing and hoping.

Often, we hear young children misuse the word hope and say things like, “I hope it wasn’t raining.”  What they mean to say is, “I wish it wasn’t raining.”

You see, hope and wish are quite different.

Wish – is focused on the present

Hope – is focused on the future

We all know lots of people who wish life was different.  They complain.  They bemoan.  A few of them seem content, but they usually seem uninspired.  Like they’re not looking forward to anything.

How many people do you really know who have hope?  People who aren’t beaten down by other people or circumstances.  People who live in the present, but eagerly look toward the future with anticipation.  People who know that tomorrow will be better.

Are you wishful or hopeful

Yes, even though I work in a career I enjoy, I’m thankful that I have a greater hope.  So while I wish that the economy was doing better this year, I continue to have hope in the future.  I’m just glad my eternal 401K isn’t dependant on the stock market.

****************

Now, the moment you've all been waiting for.  Were you hoping to win that Starbucks card? 

Congratulations Michelle DeRusha, and have a good weekend all!

4 comments:

Diane said...

I often find myself being wishful for things - new clothes mainly. Pretty lame, but I think I could go shopping every day (don't worry I'm not a big spender, it's Kohl's and Target for me). But I am hopeful that I will continue my workout regime and will be healthier for it. I am hopeful that my hubs and I will be blessed with baby #2 soon. I like how you put this all into perspective.

Unknown said...

Congrats Michelle. If anyone needs a good coffee right now, it would be her.

"I’m just glad my eternal 401K isn’t dependant on the stock market." Me too!

Susan DiMickele said...

Yeah for hope. Yeah for eternal 401Ks. And D, will be praying for baby #2.

Michelle DeRusha said...

Thank you for the Starbucks card, Susan!!! I was HOPING I would win it! :)

Speaking of which...I think I am more of a wisher...a little lacking in hope these days. But a little love from good friends like you (and a little good coffee!) certainly has me feeling more hopeful. So thank you -- for the friendship and the card!