My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why I’m Not Getting A New Car

Silver car, low angle view

Today I’m joining Julia at Working Mom Wednesday.  The topic?  Money saving tips.  Which brings me to the subject of my post today:  Why I’m not getting a new car.

My car turned 10 years old this summer.  It has a few dents.  And sometimes I’m even embarrassed when I have to host clients or give my colleagues a ride to lunch.

So why am I keeping it?  After all, I can afford a new car, can’t I?

The answer is twofold:  1)  I have kids who tend to mess everything up; and 2)  I'd rather spend money elsewhere.

My kids will mess it up.

Did I mention that my car has permanent magic marker all over the back seat?  Compliments of my 4-year-old, Abby.  On any given day it also has old food smashed in the carpet, a couple of rotten sippy cups under the seats, and a few toys lying on the floor.

I know, I should teach my kids to be cleaner in the car.  We’re working on it.  But we’re always in a hurry, and on the priority list of life, keeping my car “clean” from kid junk is almost dead last.

Maybe when my kids are all moved out and I’m an empty nester, I’ll get a fancy new car.  But not now.

I’d rather spend money elsewhere.

At this stage of life, I really don’t care about a new car.  Don’t get me wrong, I like to have nice things (and I don’t blame or judge those who decide a new car is worth the bang for the buck) but I would frankly rather have the freedom to put our money elsewhere, which includes a combination of spending, saving, and giving.  (Did I mention that we have 3 kids to put through college in a few years?)

Believe me, my family will spend (and even waste) money on a host of things this year.  But a new car won’t be one of them!

Let’s face it.  We all make choices with our money.

How do you save money, and what have you decided to do without this year?

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  Matthew 6:20



8 comments:

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Love it! We just spent a pretty penny on a new (and necessary!) a/c unit for our upstairs...and watched our St. Thomas vacation go down the drain in the process. It's all about priorities, isn't it?
Have a great day!

Betsy said...

The last two cars I owned, I drove until they fell apart. I've since found leasing to be the most economical choice for me, since when the last car (15 years baby!) finally went, I couldn't afford the payments to buy. Of course that means I always have payments, rather than paying it off, but it works for us for now.

Laura said...

heehee, Susan...I use the same reasons for not washing windows! The kids just smear their grimy little paws all over them and, frankly, I'd rather spend my time elsewhere!

Seriously, though, someone slammed into my minivan in the Target parking lot the other day and skadoodled without a word. I've been traumatized and down on mankind ever since ;) Just kidding, of course, but we seem to be having a rash of bad luck inspired by others' lack of moral character. I won't go there. So my car looks a bit ragged right now.

But I'm not getting a new one either.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Smart girl -- that saving ahead for college. You're talking to a mom who has TWO in college next year. Yikes!

You're right. We all make choices. I'm glad to hear there's someone else out there that drives their car until it won't drive anymore...

Susan DiMickele said...

Funny - for the most part, I don't think moms are into cars!

Julia Ladewski said...

we always drive our cars til they die. and me too... i'd rather spend the money else where. a fancy car just doesn't do it for me!!

Anna said...

Love the money saving tips! I can imagine that kids must really be hard on a car! My husband and I have put off trips for the year to save. Love the blog!

Overland Park Electricians said...

Very nice blog you hhave here