My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Putting Out Fires And Saving Sticky Buns

The coffee is brewing.  The bacon is sizzling.  And the sticky buns are baking.

Before the fire.

If you came to my house the morning of July 4th – before the infamous Upper Arlington Parade – you would have experienced this first hand.

I set my house on fire.  And we’re not talking about fireworks.

This playing with fire tends to stress out my husband (aka the Fire Putter Outer).  In fact, even before the flames, I can see him sweating while watching my crazed multi-tasking.

I’m frying eggs in one hand and cutting fruit with the other hand.  Pouring cereal for daughter #1 (she doesn’t like eggs) while daughter #2 insists on cracking eggs herself for the sticky buns.  Of course, she misses the bowl and we pick the egg shells out of the batter with our bare hands.  It’s 7:30 am and the guests will arrive in 30 minutes.  I sigh in relief when the sticky buns enter the oven at 7:35 am.  Finally, I can chug my coffee.

Then the smoke starts.  The sticky buns are sticky.  We use real butter.  And everyone knows that real butter burns.

My husband tries to detain the smoke, but it’s no use.  The flames are upon us.  He throws water on the fire and quickly squashes it.  (He then exits stage left to get some “air”.)

I am determined to save these sticky buns.  The real butter (albeit burnt) is calling me.  The guests don’t arrive for 20 minutes.  This gives me time to clear the smoke, turn on the fans, and transfer the buns into a new pan. 

And these buns are delicious.  After breakfast, we have plenty of eggs and fruit left.  Even the bacon remains.  But the sticky buns are gone.  Every last one.

A guest remarks, “I love these sticky buns.  Can you give me the recipe?”

My husband gives me the look and I laugh out loud.

Being a mom, wife, daughter, lawyer, and writer has a lot to do with saving sticky buns.  The fire will come.  I’m convinced that we spend too much time trying to prevent the fire when we really need to prepare for the fire.

Because once you make it through the fire, you have nothing to fear. 

**************

Each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.  (1 Cor 3:13 ESV)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay that is hysterical and scary at the same time. Glad your guests enjoyed the sticky buns.

Jenny Sulpizio said...

OHHHHHHHHH my gosh! Of all things to burn-the sticky buns? You literally have all irons in the fire and this one made me laugh.

Hope all is well...
Jenny

Ann Kroeker said...

I will, from this day forward, view each sticky bun I encounter with respect and awe--and I'll think of you, Susan!

Laura said...

Oh, friend, you have me grinning from ear to ear. If they only knew the dangers we face when we enter into this thing called the kitchen. Walking through fire. Love. It. And I can laugh because I've had some similar mishaps! I'm so glad you saved your buns. :)

Connie said...

Ha! When the smoke detector goes off, its a great time for a family fire drill!

What a mom! Congratulations on conquering it all and having a peace-filled day anyway.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

So true -- we need to spend our time preparing for the fire. It's a given, so we may as well be ready!

Compare Solicitors said...

Its all true. This really great information.