My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://susandimickele.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Need A Radical Sabbatical?



If you’re a working mom (or dad) you may have noticed that “The Schedule” is slightly out of control.  That’s putting it mildly, isn’t it?  If your schedule is like mine, it’s a freight train without brakes.

The train has left the station and there’s no stopping it now.

Right?

Maybe not.  Just wait a minute.  There’s someone out there who has activated the emergency brake.  Yes, I’m hear to tell you that it’s possible (even beneficial) to step back and take a radical sabbatical.

Meet Joanne Kraft.

This brave (slightly crazy?) working mother of four decided to pull the plug for an entire year on all extra-curricular activities.  And she lived through it, became a better mother and wife, and decided to write a book about it:  Just Too Busy – Taking Your Family On A Radical Sabbatical.

I know what you’re thinking.  I’m not that radical.  I could never do it.  My family would hate me.  Our lives revolve around The Schedule.

Don’t worry, I was thinking the same thing.  In fact, I’m not here to suggest that every family should drop out of activities for a year.  And Joanne Kraft doesn’t suggest that either.  Your radical sabbatical will probably look different than mine or hers.

In my case, after reading Just Too Busy, my family took a much-needed 2-week vacation with no TV and internet.  And let me tell you, that was a big step for my ever-loving media addicts (hubby included!).  For me, it’s about taking small steps.  And Just Too Busy gave me the inspiration I needed, plus plenty of ideas to chew on.

I don’t want to give the book away because I want you to buy it on Amazon.  What I will say is that Just Too Busy game me some serious perspective.  In fact, I’d love to give you my copy – just leave me a comment to enter a drawing.

Do you need some perspective?  Do you feel like the train has left the station and you can’t find the emergency brake?  Are you ready for a radical sabbatical?  What are you waiting for?


9 comments:

Amber - Binkertation said...

Oh count me in! That book sounds like it was written FOR ME. I often think of making some radical changes to lighten the load, but never get the guts to do it. Maybe reading this book will be the little push I need?! Thanks, Susan!

Emily said...

My goodness, a radical sabbatical sounds nice, but little steps would have to be better for me. I cling to and kind of love the schedule. :) Probably giving it a try would be good for my family's sanity. :)

Marcus Goodyear said...

I'm not sure I could handle that. Would the kids give up piano lessons and violin lessons? Those keep us busy, but they are wonderful.

Did she really mean ALL extra-curriculars?

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Amber, YES. I believe this book just might give you the gentle push you're looking for!

Emily, Baby steps are good! Some people may have all their busyness under control. But, maybe for them a sabbatical from fast food could be what gives their wallet a break!

Marcus, Well, for us we made a rule that whatever I had to drive the kids to was cut. So, if your kids take music lessons at school, then that would be something you could continue.

Each family is different. So, you might be perfectly fine with all of your activities. I thank God for that year time-out. We learned SO much. And, as much as I thought my marriage was already amazing, I learned that when I had that pause, there were a couple of marital things I needed to work on.

You'll have to get the book to see just what those were!

R. Molder said...

At first I was like, hey we don't do any extra curricular activities then you said no TV/Internet for 2 weeks and I cringed! That's hard!!! Sounds like an interesting book.

Thanks for linking to WMW today!

Anonymous said...

A radical sabbatical sounds lovely! I do feel like the train has left the station sometimes and I am chasing it trying to catch up! Stopping by from WMW...

Linda Snyder said...

I'm RETIRED!!!!!! and a radical sabbatical sounds like what I need after a crazy September and a wild past three days. Although, most things that takes my time I consider good (BSF leader, school volunteering, grandchildren) I know I could follow some baby steps in curbing something...like too much shopping! Susan, we haven't communicated in awhile, but I still love you and pray for you with each post.

BigD said...

Two weeks without TV?
I don't think my kids could survive!
My 11 YO recently endured a punishment of a week w/o TV or internet and I. Thought. She. Was. Going. To. Die.
And, the pouting!
I wonder how long it would take to get past the pouting? This is making me think...

Susan DiMickele said...

Congrats to Linda Synder who just won the contest! Yeah. (Nick drew your number randomly.) I hope the rest of you will buy it! It's a great book.